Saturday, July 28, 2012

Krazy Korean Film: The Chaser


No doubt that all of you, like me, have seen their fair share of crazy non-sensical Asian films, from killer hair extensions to mutated fish and meatball machines. But every so often you stumble across a little gem. This film is that little gem. In my opinion one of the best Korean films since Old Boy.

Directed by Hong-jin Na and starring Yeong-hie Seo, Yun-seok Kim and Jung-woo Ha. Joong-ho is a dirty ex-cop who became a pimp who, due to having several of his girls go missing, is in major financial trouble. He discovers that all the girls who disappeared were requested by the same guy with whom one of his girls is  meeting with right now! Soon the race is on!


Plot

I was really intrigued by the plot of this movie and I would definately say its one of the strongest points of the film. It has twists and turns and really keeps you guessing. Also it has clear under-tones showing the ineptitude of the government and services and the lengths that they'll go through to look good in the public eye, or how easy it is for the bad guys to slip through the crack in the bureacratic system. An issue I feel you can relate too no matter where you're from.

The characters develop well as well. Joong-ho is a major bad ass and kind of reminds me of a modern day korean dirty harry/black dynamite combo minus the guns. His opponent is insane and the closest comparison I can think of would be a slightly less crazy Heath Ledger's Joker, in the sense that it's hard to tell his true intentions or whether or not what he is doing is intentional or just because he can.



Action

The action in this film isn't all crazy marital arts action or flashy. The action, like the rest of the film is gritty and dark. There character fighting usually end up grappling on the floor, rolling around trying to get in the next blow. Each fight could seemingly go eitherway and it just came down to the sheer grit and determination, or if someone managed to get a hold of a large blunt object.


Unfortunately, I have found it hard in this post to write much about this film without giving too much away. All I can truely say is that this is a film that needs to be watched. I was wowed by this film and often found myself on the edge of my seat or expected the film to go in one direction and alway being surprised when it didn't.

Don't take my word for it! Go out and watch this bad boy for yourselves! 


No comments:

Post a Comment